Thursday, February 6, 2020

Artist Statement

As a student of life, I’ve experienced many forums of expression. I crave knowledge and I am always either asking questions or looking for answers. I came to college to study psychology and learn how to further that journey outside, on my own time. While I was doing just that, I realized I could make the most of my experience and study other things that I’m strongly interested in. I believe that the best way to learn is to have a foundation of knowledge and guidelines to start with. 

I am a double major, Film and Psychology. I’ll be graduating in spring 2021 with both degrees. From the ages of 16 to now, 22, I have been very keen on psychology and photography, myself being the center of the content I help create, i.e. modeling, styling, set design. When I entered college, my peers were confused by my decision to do psychology at hunter instead of fashion or film somewhere else. I’ve always tried my best to explain to everyone how everything came together in my head, the big master plan, but I never realized what the fatal flaw in all of it was. I’ve told myself that I need to go to school I need to learn in this specific environment in order to really gain experience and confidence to work on my film ideas on my own. I don’t lack creativity, that much I’m confident in, but I hesitate to take control and put myself out there unless I feel like I have the fundamental knowledge, which after my first year in hunter I decided I could build by taking a leap and becoming a film major. 

Things feel more fulfilling when you’re genuinely interested in what you’re learning and have plans for the future. But even with all those optimistic thoughts I had I still only realized now after being stripped of the thing I was so excited about and betting so much on do I see that I was being complacent. My learning experience does not start or stop in the classroom. And I was becoming too used to relying on a prompt or assignment to get work done. This has given me the push I needed and shown me that I need to be hungrier if I am really serious about this. 

When it comes to working on ideas and content, as a creative director I am eager to help everyone. 

I have to learn many skills and programs to be flexible and versatile because knowledge is power. 

When it comes to my own projects and passion, I sometimes experience fear and hesitate to ask for help, I was and sometimes still am afraid to not look confident among my peers, afraid to not put my all into my work. 
I am afraid to get stuck. I want to do many things; so I have put many things into action. 


I identify with the slash generation, or “slash-gen”, and my goal is to find ways to broaden the perspective of young entrepreneurs to show them that they can pursue multiple passions and create new careers for future generations. The point of it all, as vague as it can be is to incorporate my studies and my interests into a lifetime amount of work and creativity on numerous platforms...



What that means and leads to is all up to me.

-Biancha Hamlet



No comments:

Post a Comment

Reflection on "THE MACHINE STOPS"

  by E.M. Forster (1909) How does this reading relate or reflect current times? in the beginning of this story, the main character; the lect...